Monday, March 22, 2010

How an Ugly Toad turned into a Charming Prince

If you love anything pastry and anything steak, then you will love this combination of steak with puff pastry.  It's quick and easy to make and its one of my new favourite comfort food.  I came across this idea one night when I looked into my fridge to see what I was going to cook for dinner.  I had the steak and mushroom in the fridge and I could have simply cooked a steak with mushroom gravy but it seemed so boring and typical.  That's when I remembered I had a packet of leftover puff pastry in the fridge.  Perfect! And dinner will be ready in less than 20 minutes...


So why the silly title! Well, I was going to name it as simply 'Cheesy Steak with Puff Pastry', until this silly title came into my head while I was cooking this dish. Hopefully as you read along, you will agree with my thinking.

How an Ugly Toad turned into a Charming Prince
Serve 1

• 1 puff pastry thawed
• 1 steak
• 1 – 2 tablespoon of cheese
• Melted butter
• Salt and Pepper

Mushroom Gravy

• 50 g of Mushroom
• 1 tablespoon of Sherry or Wine
• ½ teaspoon of Chicken Powder
• ½ - ¾ cup of water
• 1 teaspoon of corn flour



1. Pan fried the steak, one minute on each side, high heat. (Do not clean the pan, leave it aside).



2. Butter the puff pastry on the sides. Sprinkle salt and pepper in the centre and then add the cheese. (All these can be done while the steak is being pan fried).

3. Place the steak in the centre, on top of the other ingredients.

A very ugly looking toad
4. Say the top of the pastry is A and the bottom is B. Then fold A first and then B.  Gently flip it over and butter it.  Use a folk and press on the sides (so it doesnt burst open).

5. Put it in the oven 180C for 12-15 minutes, until it is golden brown.

6. While the ugly toad is in the oven, make the mushroom gravy. Slice the mushroom.

7. Use the pan that cooked the steak. Turn on the fire and when it is really hot, pour ½ cup of water into the pan. Let it boil, then add the chicken power and sherry. It should be deep brown in colour and then add the mushroom.

8. Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes until the mushroom are cooked through. Add a little bit of water if it is drying out. The water level should be covering ¾ of the mushrooms. Mix corn flour with 1 teaspoon of water, and then pour it into the pan.  Stir it frequently and after it boils, turn off the fire.
 
A 12 minute makeover for an ugly toad

Result - Prince Charming with substance

Sharing is caring, if you like this post why not share it with your friends?

3 comments:

  1. I still don't understand the title but I want to eat it.

    Did you have steamed veggies or salad with it? Knowing you probably not...you lard lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, steamed vegetables would be perfect. and i get you the title, while you cooking it i t looks quite ugly, but turned out yummy hence the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I like your blog because you actually COOK in it. Most others don't. Or if they do - they bake cakes, biscuits etc. BORING! I'm glad you have a savoury palate like myself =)

    ReplyDelete